Destined to destroy empires, Mia Covere is only ten years old when she is given her first lesson in death.
Six years later, the child raised in shadows takes her first steps towards keeping the promise she made on the day that she lost everything.
But the chance to strike against such powerful enemies will be fleeting, so if she is to have her revenge, Mia must become a weapon without equal. She must prove herself against the deadliest of friends and enemies, and survive the tutelage of murderers, liars and demons at the heart of a murder cult.
The Red Church is no Hogwarts, but Mia is no ordinary student.
The shadows love her. And they drink her fear.
If you haven’t heard of Nevernight yet, where have you been? This book comes out in the next fortnight and I’m so excited about it! I was lucky enough to receive an advanced readers copy from HarperCollins UK.
So seeing as I’ve got Nevernight by Mister Jay Kristoff on my mind I thought I’d post a little teaser review of the book and the notes I made while reading it.
“People often shit themselves when they die”
3rd person Narration including footnotes and flash back memories.
- Impeccable world building BUT you need to really pay attention and read this slowly to soak it all in.
- eBooks are evil and the footnotes were all mixed up for me(I skimmed some that were a bit to ill formatted because confusion = buzzkill)
- A Fair bit of info dumps BUT I liked the narrator’s voice and tone so much that I didn’t mind reading it
- Mia is a pretty amazing, maybe I should get bangs; ‘Never flinch,’ she breathed. ‘Never fear’.
- Is it weird that I’m wishing horrible deaths on so many people
- Sneaky stuff is sneaky
- The background characters are very well done
- Mister Kindly is the sweetest and snarkiest little shadow baby ever
‘…bravo…’ Mister Kindly said,’..if only I had hands to applaud..’ Mia smacked her backside. ‘I’d settle for lips to kiss my sweet behind’
- You have my heart book DO NOT PLAY WITH ME LIKE THIS
- NO NO NO NO NO
- All the crack pot theories!
- How can you leave me like this!
- Incoherent flailing (yes I can be incoherent in gestures now, that is what this book has done to me even my gestures aren’t making sense.)
*taps foot* Is it 2017 yet?
*Slides down wall dramatically*
*whispers* I’m just going to sit here and wait for the next book.
Thank you HarperCollins for the ARC I mean really thank you I yelled aloud at 6am in the morning when my approval email came through, my dog came and sat on my lap to make sure I was okay and I was more than ok before he sat on me, he’s a big lump (40+kg) and nearly squished me. The down sides on the ARC was it was a badly formatted e-book 😦 AND MORE WAITING TIME TILL THE NEXT BOOK.
I will be writing a full review soon! I’m planning on re-reading this once I get my hands on a physical copy so I can read it without all the hickledee Pickldee formatting.
Have you read this yet? or pre ordered? I pre-ordered the RED stained pages edition I’m not sure if I got a numbered one, we’ll just have to see once it arrives.
I I highly recommend this if:
You like Fantasy
Epic world building
Heartbreaking soul killing torture of waiting for the second book
*Note this is an “Adult” fantasy so if you’re not into sex scenes or killing then maybe this won’t be for you.
*side note* What is Adult?
*side side note* Am I adult?
*side side side note* I had macaroni in the shape of letters last night and spelled boobs in it’s cheesy goodness and proceeded to laugh for a solid 5 minutes, if this is adulting I highly recommend it.
*Side side side side note I have been informed that spelling rude words in cheesy goodness is not actually adulting and that I am apparently failing next time I will write a silique dedicated to my absolute adoration of cheese flavoured powder and pasta and then I shall be officially an adult.